There’s no denying that Naomi Watts is a natural beauty. Her red carpet lipstick choices alone have inspired us to indulge in some online Ulta shopping sprees—how could we forget her glossy rose pucker at Cannes and that epic red lipstick moment at the Golden Globes last year. Looking beyond her many memorable makeup moments, we’ve also long admired that the busy actress continuously carves out time to stay in such phenomenal shape. So, as we charge through January with a newfound respect and dedication to strengthening our core, there’s no better time like the present to share Burn 60 Studios' ab workout credited to achieving Watts's toned stomach (and Reese Witherspoon's).
According to Burn 60 trainers, “The abs are made up of two broad categories of muscles. One group of smaller muscles that holds everything in and together, and the big ones that create movement and are visible to show off all of the hard work that you have done in the form of a shredded midsection. Five exercises ensure that you address both groups of muscle to keep your waste small and that six-pack visible.”
While the first exercise the Burn 60 team shared with us is pretty straightforward, the others are slightly more advanced. Keep scrolling to see all five and follow along with these helpful step-by-step tutorials at home to ensure proper alignment.
- Hold a light weight out in front of you. (We like 2–5 pound range like C9 Neoprene Hand Weights, $4, because they are small and easy to grip).
- Imagine stirring a giant pot with a giant spoon and move the weight in a clockwise direction for 30 seconds.
- Reverse direction for another 30 seconds.
- Set up in a plank position on your hands and feet facing down.
- Hold for 30 seconds.
- Do a series of 20 mountain climbers.
- Engage the abs by adding a little crunch to the movement.
- Alternate between these for three minutes.
- Start off in a side plank and hold for 30 seconds .
- Switch sides and hold for 30 seconds.
- Lay on your back with knees bent and feet flat on the ground.
- Raise your hips toward the ceiling focusing on squeezing your glutes while drawing your belly button in.
Do you have a favorite ab workout? Let us know what moves you swear by in the comments!